Friday 20 April 2012

Divine Women

Have you been watching "Divine Women" by Bettany Hughes on BBC2?  It is a series of documentaries which look at the relationship between women and religion.  It is a very interesting programme.

 Bettany journeys back to ancient cultures where the goddess was all powerful, and also looks at how the role of women in organised religion has changed from the early days.  Importantly, she also shows that goddesses are not just part of history, but also have a place in some religions today.  Part three is next Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to seeing more.


The subject of women and religion is something I am particularly interested in.  A good book on the subject is "The Myth of the Goddess - Evolution of an Image" by Anne Baring and Jules Cashford.  They also travel across the globe and through time to record the importance of the feminine in many cultures.


A rant about documentaries - switch off now if you are of a nervous disposition!
There is something I have noticed about documentaries over the last few years which has really annoyed me - we see far too much of the presenter.  Bettany Hughes is not the worst of them by any manner of means and I don't find her as intrusive as many others.
Some of these other presenters, usually male, are rarely off screen - this makes me just switch off.  If the documentary is about history, then I want to see the buildings, art, and artefacts associated with that time, not some preening presenter drooling over it or gazing dreamily into the (usually misty) horizon imagining a battle taking place (usually with sound effects)! 
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!  It has been done to death and I find myself shouting "just get on with it" at the telly (if I've not switched off by then)! 
And also - while I'm on a roll - why do they stick to the time old formula - (which is one I remember being told when writing essays) -
            tell them what you are going to tell them (20 minutes)
            tell them (15 minutes, if lucky)
            tell them what you have told them (20 minutes)
We can watch the programme again if we get lost!  We don't need to be reminded countless times what the programme is about.  Many of us are adults and can retain quite a lot of information without being constantly reminded!!!!!!
Sorry!  Rant over!


 
On a less serious note, I was particularly struck by this image from Crete - could that be a patchwork skirt she is wearing?

 Love, Liz




13 comments:

lucy joy said...

Loved our rant Liz! Couldn't agree more with what you say, especially with the lazy time-filling build up and recap formula, so annoying.
Hope you feel better fter your rant - I do!

Max said...

That series sound very intresting so hopefully it will make it onto nz telly at some point. The limited maori mythology i know is very male oriented except for one of the matariki myths and yet every time i see a tiki THE maori image, it puts me in mind of a woman giving birth!
Ps Glad to hear your not worshipping any of those daft telly ' idols', much as they'd like you too lol!

Little Nell said...

I’m totlly with you on this Liz. We watched part one last night, and although it was interesting I found myself doing the grumpy old woman bit within a few minutes. Hughes was better in this than her last one I thought, but still too much of her. I could listen to those female professors she interviewed all day though - fascinating.

Now, let me add to your rant with two of my favourite gripes:
1) Why do we have to have a 5 minute lead in to all these documentaries, telling us what they’r going to be covering in the series?
2) Why do all these presenters have to wear a scarf (even when it’s niot cold/windy/dusty?

Little Nell said...

Actually No1 is really what you’re saying, but I find myself, like you, saying “It’ll start in a minute!” Is it because it’ filmed with a view to selling to the U.S. market, with frequent commercial breaks so that you have to have reminded what you were watching? I don’t know but it’s definitely aimed at the two minute attention span.

Rachael said...

One thing that really allows me about documents here in the USA is that they constantly keep telling you what's coming up. If they'd stop doing that they'd get a load more into their programmes. Also a lot of the British documentaries get re-dubbed, all the Attenburgh shows always get revoiced which is a shame because the way Attenburgh speaks is part of the fun of watching these shows.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This sounds interesting, it hasn't shown here yet, but I hope that we eventually get it.

Suzy said...

I love documentaries, and I love your rant about them. Made me laugh, because we feel the same way! Thanks for sharing, and I will now be looking for this program!
Suzy

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh gawd, they do that on so many programmes now - anything with Kirsty and Phil is notorious for it. So annoying!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Hi - seem to have struck a chord with some of you! Rachael - can't believe that Attenborough's voice is dubbed in US - how crazy is that?!
Liz

Riitta Sinikka said...

Hi,liz! I wish you a good weekend! Greetings Riitta Sinikka

his_girl_friday said...

That show sounds amazing! I hope it makes its way to the States!

Flotsam said...

I too find the format of many programmes infuriating and am thankful for my video live pause on Sky. I let a programme start while I put the kettle on, and then fast forward through the revision and forecast; leaving the little nuggets of actual programme in the middle.

The thing which worries me is that if we are all subject to this patronising editing, will we all become moronic and end up needing it?

(Yes, I am a grumpy old woman).

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Liz I hear you loud & clear....That's 'celebrity' for you.... EVERY sound bite counts these days....**sigh**....Rant away Lovey....I for one do not have a nervous disposition....!!!!!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)