Saturday 28 April 2012

Peebles

Hubby and I took a wee trip to Peebles today - it is about a two hour drive from Greenock, taking the scenic route.  Situated on the river Tweed, Peebles is a lovely town in the Scottish borders.  It has quite a few small, interesting shops and hasn't been spoiled by the big national chains.  On the drive there we passed lots of fields filled with sheep and lambs - so cute!



I took some photographs of the Old Parish Church in Peebles.



You can see the town crest - one fish swimming in a different direction from the others.  The town motto is "Contra Nando Incrementum" - which means - multiply by swimming against the flow, a reference to the salmon in the River Tweed.



There were quite a few charity shops but, unusually for me - I saw not one single thing that appealed to me!  I did buy some scones and cakes from a little baker's shop.  As soon as we got home I made a cuppa and the goodies were eaten in a matter of minutes - absolutely delicious!

 Love, Liz

15 comments:

Jem said...

Scones and cakes are a brilliant buy if you ask me! I absolutely love the town motto re: swimming against the flow :-)

Jem xXx

vintage grey said...

Hi Liz!! What beautiful photos!! The architecture and detail is gorgeous on the church!! Have a beautiful day!! xo Heather

Tina said...

Hi Liz,
Seems that you had a beautiful day. The place is lovely. xx

Mum said...

Sounds like a good day out. Thank you for the tour.
Love from Mum
xx

Mrs. H said...

I want to go to Peebles!!!
x

My Vintage Mending said...

Liz with views as lovely as these you don't need to buy anything...the crest is gorgeous. Smiles...Renee

A Treasured Past said...

Sorry Liz, I have missed 3 posts! What a cute name for a gorgeous town, and one the River Tweed too. The photos are just gorgeous. Ever since we returned for the UK, my dad has hankering to go to Scotland, he loves the country side.

I love your girl guides belt, with the pen knife and the whistle. I did have a laugh at you saying that you could not remove them and bend down that far :) I am afraid I didn't get any further than a Brownie. I still have my uniform somewhere, I must dig it out.

The nautical paraphernalia is awesome. Love the graphics in the old books, and gorgeous colours.

Enjoy your Sunday, Tam x

Kylie said...

Peebles, just its name is lovely enough x

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Liz,

Oh, it must be wonderful to have the scenic route drive in your wonderful country with rich natures♡♡♡

I am so sorry to hear that you couldn't have a shopping you usually enjoy. However, you took us wonderful tour, thank you very much for sharing the pictures, my friend♬♬♬ 

Lots of Love and Many Hugs to you, xoxo Miyako*

gillyflower said...

Looks an interesting place to visit, lovely photos Liz.
Scones and cakes sound the ideal way to get over the disappointment of coming away empty handed from the charity shops!

Unknown said...

Lovely photo's and you can't beat a good scone ;-) dee x

Nick said...

It is so hard to find a good scone nowadays...they do them in machines and don't use real butter. A travesty!
Your area looks like a lovely place to live.

Unknown said...

That is a great town crest & motto! Sounds like a fun trip, sorry there wasn't anything in the shops to tempt you (isn't that always the way of it)!

Hope you are well,
e

claire said...

looks lovely! i need to go back to Scotland!

sky-blu-pink said...

Great photos, Liz, you know I like a nice church! I haven't been to Peebles, but my parents did and sister did, on the way to visiting me playing at the Edinburglh Festival many years ago,and they loved it.