Saturday 15 February 2014

A Vintage View

Looking for a magazine to pass the time, I came across this - "A Vintage View" from the Woman's Weekly Classics Series.  I got mine in WH Smith in Greenock.



Its a fabulous look back to the years 1900-1920 through copies of Woman's Weekly of the time.  I love the pages of front covers which take in the war years and afterwards.

There are handy household hints, although I don't think I'll be trying the one for cold cream for use on the face and hands ... its main ingredient is mutton fat!  There are lovely pictures of the fashions of the days, recipes, household hints and adverts of the time too.  Some like HP Sauce and Pears soap still being used today.


There is going to be a series of these magazines covering the whole of the 20th century.  I'm really looking forward to collecting them all. 


Love, Liz

14 comments:

The Vintage Kitten said...

I will have to get myself off to the Newsagents, that looks like my kind of magazine. Love your teacup and saucer, very pretty X

Little Nell said...

That looks interesting. I’ll have to get a friend to bring one over to Lanzarote.

Derya said...

Hi,I love vintage magazines, porcelain I like your too happy weekends :)

Kezzie said...

It sounds lovely! X

sky-blu-pink said...

I caught a glimpse of this in our local newsagent as I was leaving - on your recommendation, I will buy it next time!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

What a fun magazine! Love your 'forget me not' teapot and pretty tablecloth. xo Karen

Robyn of Oz said...

I hope it finds its way to Aussie shores! :)

Miss Magpie said...

Oh now, I but the cold cream smells delicious!?!

Catherine said...

What fun Liz. Great magazine to collect. Funny, I made some gardening hand cream a month or two ago & added some lanolin (from sheeps wool) beeswax, olive oil infused with elderflower & some pork lard ( the lard doesn't have any smell at all)! It's actually very good...surprisingly enough. I love your little afternoon tea vignette....especially love the forget-me-not tea pot. Much love Catherine x0x0x

gillyflower said...

This looks a goody Liz, well spotted! Sounds like one to collect.
I agree with you, not sure I fancy smearing my face with mutton fat!
Gill xx

Anne said...

Its amazing how many new magazines they have introduced recently isnt it? I confess to not buying so many nowadays but that one does look intriguing.

Streetcomber said...

What a lovely spot for reading a magazine!

Amy at love made my home said...

It is amazing when you look back at old magazines how much has changed and how much has stayed the same isn't it! Hope that you enjoy collecting this series, it will be interesting to see the changes over the decades. xx

Patricia said...

You just beat me to it Liz. I was about to post about this magazine myself. Isn't it wonderful. I got mine in WHSmith too and can't stop dipping and diving into it.
Patricia x